Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Use Your Imagination

In the literacy lab, we are learning how to make 
mental images while we listen to read alouds.

The children in 4K have been learning to use their 
imaginations and also gain a better understanding 
of what that means in relation to reading. 
When readers can create mental images they are connecting with the text in a personal way and thus will have a better memory of it. 
To better help us grasp this concept, we have 

magical masks that can SEE inside of our heads. 

We wear these masks when we are listening to 
descriptive poems and focus on listening to the words 
while creating the image in our minds. 


We look pretty cute too!

When we are finished listening, we draw what we saw in our heads. It's almost like painting a picture or making 
a movie inside our heads.




Children use all of their senses to make a vivid picture in their minds during reading.  When teaching young children to read we shouldn't get caught up in the accuracy and mechanics alone.  The reason we read is for enjoyment and we need to understand what we read. When one has the ability to fully utilize his/her imagination, visualizing becomes easier and fun too and this leads to stronger, more fluent readers.
This week we made imagination hats to help us 
become masters of our imagination.  


Beware if you see your child wearing this hat at home:)  
Strange and wonderful things can happen!




 I close my eyes and I can imagine anything!
I can imagine even without MY hat:)
(Ask your child to sing this song:)
Imagination hat, can you imagine that? 
I put in on and then I can pretend. 
I can go here or there, I can go anywhere.
I'm never bored you see, I have myself for company:)





No comments:

Post a Comment